Monday, August 12, 2013

Pulau Redang: Day 1

Before I start, allow me to credit my hubby's colleagues for some of the pictures below. I'm sure they understand what happened to our DSLR and wouldn't mind me stealing some pictures tee hee... Anyway, it's all for info-sharing purposes only.

Around mid July this year, hubby unexpectedly took me on a vacation again. He kept complaining he was broke after Taiwan and Korea which was just a few months gap but surprisingly he said we are going on a getaway again. It was just a local trip to Pulau Redang which is located at East Malaysia, Terengganu to be exact but I was quite happy. This was my 2nd time to this island. First time was when I was about 14 years old with my parents and dad's diving group (besides a Taekwando master, dad is a diver too).

Morning breakfast at the same place I had dinner in Kuala Terengganu 10 years ago.

So this trip was organized by some of my husband's colleagues so I can't really inform you the details. They called up a tour agent and the agent arranged bus and hotel for us. All can be done by phone or online. We paid around RM500++ each for twin sharing of 3 days 2 nights at Redang Holiday Beach Villa and bus ride from Penang to Kuala Terengganu and back. You are advised to travel to Redang between March to September as the east coast will experience monsoon season every year end.

 The new ferry terminal. 10 years ago we boarded at a mangrove swamp.

We sat on a VIP coach bus which means spacious armchair seats but the ride was horrible. We started our supposedly 8 hour journey the night before at 10pm and arrived Kuala Terengganu at 5am. I tried to sleep but it was too cold and could feel the bus was speeding through the snaky raggedy road.

You can buy ferry tickets to Pulau Redang here but we just collected ours from the booth.

The air-conditioned waiting area. You are not allowed to come inside unless you have a ticket but you may use the washroom.

Took a picture at the pier before it gets crowded.

I had a 1 hour nap in the ferry and woke up to this amazing view.

Pure turquoise sea with a view of the hotel I stayed 10 years ago, Laguna Redang Resort. If I can recall it was only around RM400 per night including snorkeling equipments before the huge renovation. My parents and I stayed 4 days 3 nights. Dad and his gang would go diving day and night. Up to this day, most resorts on this island offers 3D 2N package with breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner included.

 Arrived!

Redang Beach Resort is just beside Laguna. They are located on the main beach of the island and you should see how loud and happening they were on a Friday night!

The sand was so white and powdery. The water was crystal clear. You don't get this in Penang or any other more developed islands like Langkawi, Labuan and Phuket.

A tractor came to take us to our resort because it is located at the other part of the island.

Here's a typical itinerary practiced by most resorts here.

A view of our chalet.

Our room is not a luxurious honeymoon chalet. There's no TV and fridge but there's aircon so the room is just enough for you to sleep. By the way the washroom is terribly dirty. Full of huge insects till basin clogged up. Its disgusting I can't even take photo of it. If I were to plan this trip I would have chose Laguna again..

If you want luxury chalet you can opt for this 5 star resort located just beside us, Sari Pacifica Resort & Spa.

Whoa would you look at the pretty chalets. But I prefer water chalets like Avillion at Port Dickson.

Lunch is served at 12:30pm. Don't forget to bring your meal coupons given during check-in.
The buffet lunch was like canteen food but you can't expect much for such a cheap package.
We were told snorkeling gears aren't included in our package so we rented goggles and life jacket for RM30.

Resting (not sunbathing) while waiting for our snorkeling session at 2:30pm.

I'm ready! Actually I was terrified that I cried on the boat :( The afternoon session is always the deep sea.


I forced myself to jump into the effing deep sea and hold on to the boat at all times. I am hydrophobic and it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Hubby told me to let go my hands and I was about to cry again. We went back to resort after the 45-minute session.
Tea time! Remember to check on the sausage buns before you eat them because they sort of grew moss inside. Eewww!

We went for a swim in front of our resort after tea.

 I am so addicted to swimming now! The water is so clean and clear.


The sun was setting and a group of boys playing beach volleyball. What a wonderful sight.


It's dinnertime!

The buffet dinner wasn't great either. The roasted lamb was tasty but tough to eat.


After dinner we decided to walk to the other side of the beach where Laguna is located. Being avid photographers, hubby and his friends captured milky way galaxy. Too bad he wasn't able to use his own camera due to a misfortune. When we reached the other side of the island, the noise pollution was at its max. Techno and club music were sore to our ears. Maybe we are getting old.Hubby and I used to party like every weekend 3-4 years ago but we quit having any nightlife after we bought our house.

Here's More More Tea Inn which we thought to be a cafe for us to chill and relax but turned out to be a convenience store with a souvenir shop on the top floor.


You haven't been here if you did not take a picture at this spot. Back then during my first time here, this house was full of rubbish and beer bottles. Glad it has refurbished.

There's a gift shop upstairs.

Need one more person here.


We went to the other side of the island to Redang Reef Resort area via the scary wooden bridge which is still the same bridge as 10 years ago. Some things never change. We saw alot of people crowding around a small area of beach and turned out they were collecting luminescent sand. You can buy a tiny glass bottle for around RM4 and start hunting for those blue glowing sand. Goodnight and see you on Day 2 as we will have 2 sessions of snorkeling.

1 comment:

No advertisement and links allowed in comment.